Thursday, December 3, 2009

Who said Australian Politics wasn't Interesting? It was quite the controversial week...


Wow, Can I just say what a surprising week it has been! We begin the week with Liberal Party deciphering their new Leader, the nominees or candidates (no nominees sounds more entertaining) were Mr. Joe Hockey, Tony Abbott and of course the previous leader Malcolm Turnball. Now is wasn’t a surprise that that good ol’ Mal didn’t win, but the number of votes he received sure did shocked us all. Joe Hockey was eliminated within the first round, whilst Mr. Abbott secured the win by a just one vote (42 votes to 41.)

Tony Abbott may have been the most popular kid in the voting room, but he still has a long way to go in the eyes of the public-particularly Australian women.

Sydney Morning Herald columnist, Miranda Devine agrees as she dedicated a whole article to this notion, “Abbott’s real trouble is the sisterhood.” (Check out the full article here- http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politics/abbotts-real-trouble-is-the-sisterhood-20091202-k689.html) Ms Devine states, “Apparently, Tony Abbott has woman trouble. Despite the fact he has three daughters, a wife, two sisters and a mother who adore him, the popular perception of the new Opposition Leader is that women can't stand his blokeish, confrontational style.”

Honestly, I can’t say I hate him, but I don’t plan on declaring my love for this opposition leader anytime soon. I mean, I’m all for a leader with solid morals, but I think he is just a little too old school for my liking. As I watched the live updates on Channel 7, I soon realised that Koshie is just getting way too annoying in his old age and yes did the unthinkable, crossed over to the Nine network to view their live coverage.

Yet, as usual-whenever anything exciting in the world is happening, it is being discussed on Twitter. So, as you do, I logged in to see a few interesting reactions after Tony Abbott was declared the Liberal Leader. Now there were countless amounts of rather… well, let’s just say not-so-shy comments regarding Abbott’s issue with women. I picked out a few highlights that were mostly tweeted from major female journalists.

Firstly, I wanted to mention former Cosmopolitan/Cleo/Dolly Editor and Magazine GREAT, Mia Freedman’s response which I actually retweeted. It read as follows, “Libs elect a leader who is anti-abortion, anti-contraception and wants to ban no-fault divorce. Ho ho ho.” This post was also retweeted by Sarah Wilson, also former Cleo editor and current Sunday Magazine columnist. In fact, Sarah didn’t hold back, “Bloody hell! Tony Abbott wins - 42 vs 41.” Mia continued with, “Oh, Tony Abbott also anti-IVF. Seems like his speedos are the least reprehensible of his crimes against women...” Slightly…inappropriate? Maybe, but nonetheless extremely witty.

Mia also had something to say about Hockey’s unfortunate elimination, “Oh totally. Happy for him,” As she retweeted “@overingtonc: Joe Hockey just saved his health, his marriage, his family, his life #spill.”

Practicing Journalist and Journalism Academic Julie Posetti stated that, “In acknowledging defeat @turnbullmalcolm looked & sounded 10 times the leader Abbott appears w/ divisive language & robotic style.”

But the most controversial tweet I noticed was the comparison of Mr. Abbott to the has-been politician Mark Latham, “Watching Tony Abbott press conference. This is feeling so much like Mark Latham moment. HAVE THE LIBS GONE MAD??? I think they have.”

Although these powerful women openly speak of their dislike towards the new Liberal Leader, it seems Abbott, who was probed by recent Walkey Award winner Tracey Grimshaw, was eager to reassure her that polls show his women issue is just a fabrication. ''The last poll showed me somewhat more popular among women than men,'' he said. ''People will make judgments based on what they see now, not some caricature they heard some years ago.''

I think we will just have to wait and see what goes down over the next couple of months, because I doubt he will be able to hold his position for more than a year.

Now, to the GREAT NEWS! I was absolutely thrilled with the news that the NSW Premier Nathan Rees has been replaced by female politician Kristina Keneally.

Imre Salusinszky, NSW Political reporter (The Australian) writes, “Kristina Keneally has become the first female Premier of NSW after defeating incumbent Nathan Rees 47 to 21 votes in a Labor caucus meeting this evening.” It seems Rees was aware of his coming dismissal and opted to quit the NSW Labor leadership as he lost the spill motion 43 votes to 25.

Ms Keneally, the planning minister was appointed as the NSW 42nd premier, whilst “Carmel Tebbutt will remain as Deputy Premier, creating a unique situation of two women holding the top two positions in any Australian state government.”

History in the making people, I thought it was great when President Barack Obama was Elected and believe me I shed a tear but this particular movement is just so close to my heart. I’m Very impressed with the girl power that has been achieved and hopefully presented in years to come in not only NSW but nationwide.



Fun fact: In Ohio, she attended the same Catholic high school as Tom Cruise's wife and converted scientologist Katie Holmes, whose father was Keneally's basketball coach. ( I know not THAT fun... but, hey I tried. I know quite the serious post!)

Wow Canberra sure has been the busy place, what with all these vacant positions filling in fast, lets just hope they keep it entertaining! Ps Something tells me, it’s only just begun.

Signing off Abi, xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment